Monday, January 12, 2015

Papayas Are Hard to Grow

[Image Source]

Several months ago, I started growing papaya plants, which I heard are easy to grow. 

I found them actually to be very hard to grow. 

They are very easy to sprout. I think about 80-90% of my papaya seeds sprouted; many of them even grew secondary leaves. However, after they reached two inches tall, they stopped growing. Many of them stayed alive for several weeks, but they didn't grow. 

The only explanation that I can come up with is that they stopped growing because I transplanted them into larger pots after they had grown their secondary leaves. Papayas are known to not do well with transplanting, so this seems to be a feasible idea. If I ever grow papayas again, I will probably start them out in large pots. 

Lesson: Don't sprout papayas in starter pots. They really don't like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment